Chorley Food Festival’s Schools’ Cook Off Winner

3 June 2015

Cook Off Winner

Niamh has proved she can cook up a treat – but she dreams of becoming an engineer!

The Year Nine Holy Cross student won the Chorley Food Festival’s Schools’ Cook Off but admits making dishes are more of a hobby than a career choice.

Niamh, a vegetarian, made roasted asparagus with vegetarian black pudding served with a poached egg on croute with home-made hollandaise sauce.

The 14-year-old got the thumbs up from television chef Aazam Ahmad and she was pleased to win.

“I do like cooking although it was hard doing it under pressure,” said Niamh. “It is more of a hobby as I cook a lot at home.

“My main aim is to be an engineer as my dad keeps telling me what a good job it is to get into!”

Niamh’s menu was approved and sent to the Food Festival by Holy Cross’s Head of Food and Nutrition Mr Callander.

“It’s tricky to make hollandaise sauce from scratch and Niamh had to whisk it all the time. It was a seasonal menu which I think is one of the reasons why the judges liked it,” said Mr Callander. “Niamh did really well and is a natural.”

Mr Callander is a former manager at Papa Luigi’s in Chorley and has helped to transform the food and nutrition courses at the Chorley school.

“I have been at Holy Cross for two years and there used to be one group in Key Stage 4 studying food technology but now there are four groups so it has grown and it is now a popular choice.

“We make sure the students are cooking every week, they make dishes from scratch, we use seasonal produce and we offer a BTEC course as well as a GCSE course so there is plenty for students to try out.”

Niamh