International swimming success for pupil

17 July 2015

isaac2

Swimming star, Isaac, is an international success.

The Holy Cross Catholic High School student took part in his first competition abroad and returned from Germany with a gold medal in the 100m breaststroke.

Isaac, 12, has recently switched to Bolton Metro after being part of Chorley Marlins for three years.

“I get up at 5am two mornings a week and then train after school on Wednesday and Thursdays as well as Sunday mornings,” said Isaac, who has two younger brothers.

Isaac started swimming when he was at primary school at St Joseph’s.

“From there, I was invited to go to Chorley Marlins so I thought I would give it a go,” said Isaac.

After switching to Bolton Metro, he was called upon to go onto the international stage and, as well as gold in his strongest event, the 100m breaststroke, he also picked up bronze in the 200 Individual Medley and 100m backstroke.

“I couldn’t believe I had won as I couldn’t tell straight away as a number of age groups were competing at the same time. It was only when the times came out and I had got gold in my 12-year-old category, against other swimmers from Europe, that I was excited and shocked.”

Isaac’s best time in the 100m breaststroke of one minute and 24 seconds puts him among the top 12-year-olds in the country.

“It’s really competitive at Bolton Metro and the training is hard but I want to go as far as I can in swimming,” he added.