Antonia wins first belt

25 April 2019

Holy Cross student Antonia has won her first belt – and she couldn’t be prouder.

The Muay Thai boxer recently competed in the WTKO Open International Continental Championships in Barnsley at 58kg and won.

“I defeated the defending champion in what was a big event,” said the 15-year-old. “It’s my first belt and I get to keep it, I am very proud.”

In her career so far, Antonia has had five fights, losing just the once in Italy when she was representing Team GB in the 57-60kg category in the World Thai Boxing Championships final in November.

Antonia worked on a building site, with X and P Engineering in Withnell, to help fund the trip to Italy and was proud to come away with a silver medal.

Antonia has been part of Fight Science Muay Thai Club for four years after her dad joined and she decided to go along as well to keep fit.

“I only went with my dad to lose weight but I fell in love with the sport.

“Of my five fights, I am undefeated in the UK so far and my dream is to be English and British champion at my weight.

“We are currently waiting for the WTKA rankings to be announced but hopefully I will be high up.”