Skiing Success

1 November 2019

Holy Cross ski star Issabelle has big dreams – she wants to be an off-piste guide in the mountains.

The 12-year-old recently came second at the British Independent Schools Championships in the Senior Under 14 Girls Slalom.

Issabelle, who trains at Ski Rossendale under the watchful eye of coach Bethany Widdup, has been skiing since she was two-year-old and dreams of taking her sport to the highest level.

“My dad has skied since he was 20 and now has a ski shop, Rivington Alpine, in Adlington,” said Year Eight Issabelle, whose favourite subjects are History and PE at school.

“I started skiing at a young age and train three times a week. It’s not all skiing, it involves fitness as well, running up the ski slopes in our boots and press ups and such like.

“The British Independent Schools Championships were at Swadlincote Sports Centre in the Midlands and we had to do two runs in a certain amount of time.

“I love competing in the slalom, it’s competitive and I can use any excess energy while I also love free skiing as I feel like I am free and flying.

“Some of my friends don’t know what to make of it while some think it’s really cool.

“My dream is to be a professional skier and I would love to teach abroad.”

Issabelle has support off sponsors Data Wax, Head UK and Rivington Alpine.

“I would also like to thank Holy Cross for giving me time off to train. They have been very good.”